(New York): ca. 1836. Colored lithograph, 12" x 12." Laid-down on card stock at an early date, light foxing & slight staining.
A splendid advertising card for the newly opened Pacific Hotel, with ten lines of lithographed text, dated "New York, July 1st 1836."
According to the text which is printed beneath the large colored image of the hotel the address of the newly constructed building is 162 Greenwich Street, two doors north of Courtland Street, in downtown Manhattan. The hotel is conveniently location between the landing of the Philadelphia and North River [Hudson] Steam Boats. The Pacific Hotel is under the superintendence of Benjamin Jesup and R.C. Nichols, who is the proprietor of the hotel and the Mansion House was constructed under the direction of the owner, William Bunker.
The text goes on to state that the Hotel can accommodate 150 visitors, is furnished in a new and modern style and that neither expense or exertion was spared “to assure internal order and regularity.”
The colored lithograph illustrates the five-story hotel and focuses attention on about ten nicely dressed people on the street, and a number of hotel guests visible through the first-floor curtained windows. Although the perspective of the image is clumsy it shows the newly constructed hotel in a very positive light and illustrates how it is situated on Greenwich Street near Courtland. Although the name of the lithographer is not printed on the advertising card, it is probably by either Georg Endicott & Swett, John B. Pendleton or Mesier’s Lithographer, all working in New York in the mid-1830’s.
This colored lithograph appears to very rare. Not cited in either Peter, American on Stone or Stoke’s Iconography of Manhattan Island. A colored copy was part of an exhibition entitled, A Loan Exhibition of Rare Views of Old New York organized by the Lawyers Title Insurance and Trust Company in 1909 and curated by J. H. Jordan. An uncolored copy is in the New York Public Library, trimmed at the bottle removing all the text. Another uncolored copy is cited in the sale catalogue of Edwin Babcock Holden, American Art Gallery, April 21, 1910. Item #270